Sunday, November 24, 2013

Dahi phulkian( white lentil fritters in yogurt sauce)

Assalamo alaikum,

I really apologize for not posting since two weeks even though I promised myself that I won't skip a week but some how I got distracted ,but today I gathered my strength and motivation to get back on track and inshAllah (if Allah wills) I will continue doing it.I always look forward to my readers comments it keep me going Alhamdulilah.

As I was fasting for Ashura 9th and 10th Muharram,i decided to make full fledge Iftar so I made some channa(black whole gram), pakora, and dahi phulkian.

This recipe of Dahi phulki I learned from my Appa (my second oldest sister) who lives in Pakistan .When I first tried this recipe I used to be scared of making dahi phulki's ,cause you want your phulki's to be soft inside and should not have lumps but as she told me It would come out good ,trusting my Appa I tried it and it came out really good.i hope when you guys make it will have the same results inshAllah!!

Dahi phulkian

Ingredients:

Maash ki daal 1/2 cup

Baking powder 1/2 tsp

Oil to deep fry the phulkees (round fritters)

Water

Yogurt 1 cup

Chaat masala

Sugar 2 tbsp

Salt 1/2 tsp

Tamarind and dates chutney ( recipe in the end)

 

Direction:

Soak Maash daal in warm water for at least 2 to 3 hrs

After that drain it out leaving enough water so you can blend it in blender,if doing first time drain it out completely and in blender at little water so the consistency of batter should be about pancake batter no too thin or not very thick so when you take it out with a spoon it easily drops in your wok.

Now add the baking powder to Maash daal purée and blend it one more time

 

Take out the batter in a bowl and heat oil on medium high .

 

With a teaspoon drop Maash daal batter in wok or karahi,it should come up to surface while browning showing they are lump less

 

Turn around with slotted spoon to make sure to brown evenly on both sides

 

Take them out in a sieve to drain excess oil out

Make a mixture on part milk and two parts water enough to soak the dahi phulki's

 

Soak the dahi phulki's in milk mixture for 30 minutes

While phulki's are soaking ,make a yogurt mixture consisting of yogurt,sugar and salt mix is well

Now take out the phulki's one by one from milk mixture squeezing it to take out excess liquid and place in the yogurt mixture

 
 
 

Coat the phulki's with the yogurt ,garnish it with chaat masala and tamarind chutney .Enjoy!!!

 

 

Tamarind and dates chutney

Ingredients:

Tamarind paste 1/4 cup

Dates pitted 1 cup

Brown sugar 1/4 cup

Crushed Cumin seeds (zeera) 1 tsp

Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp

Salt to taste

 

Direction:

Soak tamarind and dates together in warm water until both are softened

Pulse this mixture until you get a coarse mixture

In a small pan cook dates mixture,red chillie powder ,salt ,brown sugar and crushed cumin seeds until the mixture thickens

Cool it down and store it a jar in the fridge