Monday, February 17, 2014

Naan bread ( flat bread)

 

 

Assalamo alaikum ,

Flat bread or Naan are very famous in Pakistan and India alike,I won't go in the details of where is origins from as I'm only interested in the fact that this bread is amazingly soft and chewy yummy specially the one made in Tandoor (hot clay oven) but unfortunately living aboard clay oven ones are not readily available either you buy them at Indian andPakistani restaurants or stores I always keep some in my freezer to complement niharis,paya and Tikkas etc etc but sometimes I worry about the amount of preservatives and unnatural stuff used in store bought things so I make my home versions .today I'm sharing my recipe of Naan with you guys but to make thing a little on healthier side(a little) I'm using 100% whole wheat flour with all purpose flour ,my Naans came out really good ,I hope you guys will try it out and enjoy it also as much as my family did insh Allah!!!

My recipe is in large quantity as we are big family and I also freeze my leftover dough in a ziplock bag or a plastic which can be easily used when thawed at room temperature but if you are interested in making less dough you can always half the recipe !!

Naan recipe

Ingredients:

All purpose flour 6 cups

100% whole wheat flour 3 cups

Salt 2 1/2 tsp or as needed

Sugar 4 tsp

Eggs 2

Yogurt 1 cup

Milk 1 cup

Active Yeast 6 tsp

Baking powder 2 tsp

Melted butter

Finely Chopped cilantro 1/2 bunch

Directions:

Mix both flour together

Mix together all the dry ingredients in big wide mouthed bowl

Now make a well in the center add yogurt,milk and eggs

 

Mix yogurt, milk and egg until combined

Now slowly slowly mix dry and wet ingredients and also water to make a soft dough

 

 

 

Cover dough lightly with oil on all sides

 

Now cover bowl with transparent wrap and put in a warm place for atleast 2-3 hrs until dough doubles in size

 

 

Punch the dough down

Heat oven to 550 degree F and place a non stick cookie sheet or a sheet covered with aluminum foil in hot oven let the sheet heat up

Now take a little bit small size ball then tennis ball ,roll is out 1/8 inch thick bread and prick it with fork

 

Roll out 3 or 4 Naans as per space of the cookie sheet

 

Now very carefully take out cookie sheet and put your rolled out Naans on it and put it back in the oven ,it will take around 4-5 minute for your naan to cook

 

When you see brown specs on the top of the Naan take it out and brush melted butter on hot Naans and sprinkle chopped cilantro .

 

Serve hot and enjoy!!

Your comments are highly appreciable here so please be sure to share your views:)