Monday, March 3, 2014

Fish Curry

Asslamo alaikum,

Cooking fish has always been a big task for me,as I think I won't be able to cook as good as my Ammi (mother),her fish curry is good oh yum yum ,so one day when she was visiting us I thought right time to ask her to cook some fish for me lol!!! But instead of cooking fish for us she told me I won't catch fish for you I'll just teach you fishing means she is going to teach how to cook and then I can enjoy that fish curry whenever I want to (hope so) .I was a little hesitant cause I might mess her recipe too but guys tell you the truth wasn't that hard ad thought so there are some tips and tricks to follow along and wallah you have created some good tasting fish ,there are lots of recipe for cooking fish out there but I'm sure when you try this one you will coming back to it inshAllah!!!

Please do try it out and I would be really happy to hear you all comments inshAllah!!

 

FISH CURRY

Ingredients :

Fish fillet or with bone 2 lbs (I used boneless Tilapia fillets)

Onion 2 medium coarsley chopped

Tomato 2 medium chopped

Yogurt 1/2 cup

Tamarind paste 1/4 cup

Oil 3 tbsps (canola oil)

Ginger 1 inch piece chopped

Garlic whole cloves 8-10 piece

Fenugreek seed 5-6

Turmeric powder 1 tsp (for washing the fish with)+ 1/2 tsp

Red chilli powder 1 tsp

Salt to taste

1/2 cup water

Chopped fresh cilantro or coriander 1/2 bunch

Chopped green chillies optional

 

Direction:

Defrost fish in cold water if using frozen

Rub 1 tsp turmeric on fish ,it will take out the smell

wash out the turmeric and put it in a strainer to remove excess water

In a blender add onion,tomato,garlic,ginger ,yogurt and tamarind paste to make a thick purée

In a wok or karahi heat oil and add fenugreek seeds until fragrant and dark brown

Now slowly add onion and tomato purée to it cook for three four minutes

Now add the spice salt,red chili powder and turmeric powder cook until all the water is evaporated and oil is separating from gravy for around 10 -15 mins on medium high heat stirring frequently making sure gravy does not burn from the bottom

 

Now add water ,bring it boil and then simmer it cover for 10 mins

Now your gravy is ready check for salt and then add fish pieces on a high heat for two three minute until bubbly but now don't use any kind a of spoons to stir the fish

Now lower heat mix everything around by moving the wok gently by holding the sides

Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and green chilies (if using),leave some cilantro to garnish before serving

 

Cook it covered on low flame until fish is tender and oil has separated from gravy.

Garnish with cilantro and serve very carefully with flat spatula to make sure no broken pieces inshAllah!!

And enjoy with white rice or chapattis!!