Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Chicken shami kabab

Assalamo alaikum,
It's been a few weeks since I wrote on my blog so first I need to apologize to my readers for being away for some time ,I really wanted to write but these two three weeks were so hectic and busy that I couldn't get time to sit down and write something.first my dear hubby went to Pakistan to visit his sisters,then me and my hubby went out of town to attend a wedding very small trip and the third week my parents went to Pakistan ,thanks to them I could leave my kids with them to go and attend the wedding.April was filled with shopping ,meeting lots of relatives (at the wedding) and some time out with my dear hubby .i hope you are not thinking I didn't do any cooking ,our desi lives cannot survive on takeouts and frozen food we need good and fresh food but couldn't capture most of my cooking but surely share with you guys later on!! I think I have talked so must that some of you must be thinking of leaving the page but please please !!!! There is a good recipe coming up my first take on chicken shami kababs:) I have only made shami kababs with beef before and always thought chicken shami kababs would be so blah but recently when I had some at my friends house I couldn't tell the difference,so I had to think over my blah thought and had no option but chicken qeema (ground boneless chciken leg) so decided to give it a try ,asked my friend and searched over Internet and a recipes was created well actually not really I had different sources i.e my late mother-in-law (who taught me to make original beef shami kababs)and my friend and http://www.fauziaskitchenfun.com/recipes,
So here is :
Chicken Shami kababs
Ingredients:
Chicken qeema (ground boneless chicken leg) 2pds
Chana daal 1 cup
Garlic 6-8 cloves
Ginger 1 inch thick piece chopped
Green chillies 2 medium roughly chopped
whole dried red pepper 3-4
Black pepper corn 1/2 tsp
Bay leaves 2
Black cardamom 1
Cloves 3-4
Cumin seeds crushed 1 tsp
Corriander seeds crushed 1tsp
Onion 1 medium roughly chopped
Salt to taste
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Water 2 cups
Onion 1 medium finally chopped
Cilantro 1/2 bunch finally chopped
2 Eggs
Oil for shallow frying
Direction:
In a big pot add chana daal,qeema,garlic ,ginger,green chillies,onion ,dried red pepper ,turmeric powder,water and all whole spices ,(I have mentioned above to use crushed cumin and corriander seed as chicken needs less cooking time the seeds might not cooked through and won't chop up properly )
Bring this on boil over medium high heat ,then cook it covered on simmer until chicken and chana daal is cooked (over here chana daal mostly doesn't take that long to cook but if you are doubtful soak chana daal for an hr or two in hot water)

Now if your mixture has some extra water cook it on high heat uncovered stirring frequently so doesn't get burned from the bottom.
Cool the mixture down completely ,and chop it up in the food processor or chopper
Take out chopped mixture in a big bowl and check for salt ,add if needed then add one egg ,finally chopped cilantro and onion ( at this point you can also add chopped green chillies if need extra heat)

Now shape your mixture into palm size flat discs ,
Shallow fry them in hot oil, my experience with frying theses kababs without dipping in egg was not so good as edges were breaking during frying,so I covered them lightly all by dipping them in an egg mixture I only fried around 10-12 kababs but you will surely need more egg mixture for frying all of them as the recipe makes around 25 kababs,you can freeze them too to enjoy them later !!!
I enjoyed them with chilli garlic sauce but it will be great with green chutney too!! Enjoy!!