Thursday, April 10, 2014

Nimki or khajoori (diamond shaped fried cookies)

Assalamo alaikum,
These sweet and salty snacks bring back so many memories when I was young my mom use to make them all the time ,at my house it's called "nimki" but I have heard different names for it like khajoori or qormi also,it's not a very healthy stuff but surely delicious if you put one in your mouth you can't stop yourself,goes great with afternoon tea ,my mom always use to have some in her pantry for unexpected evening guests .
I have never made these ,when Ammi was making some I got really excited so I can share this recipe with my readers and have it saved for myself too when I want to give it a try .please do try this recipe and also let me know if you guys have any traditional snack recipes which you loved in your childhood??
Nimki
Ingredients
All purpose flour 5 cups
Sooji or samolina 1 cup
Sugar 1 cup
Salt 2 tsp or to taste
Kalonji 1 tsp
Ghee or Melted butter 1 1/4 cups
Water
Oil for frying
Directions:
In a big bowl Mix all the dry ingredients
Now make a well in the center add melted butter
Mix melted butter into dry mixture rubbing with your palm so it will become flaky
Now add water Little by little to make hard but pliable dough ,
Divide dough into four equal balls
Leave the dough to rest for 15-20 mins

Now roll out each dough ball into 1/4 inch thick
First cut into 1/4 inch thick strips and cut it diagonally to for diamond shaped dough pieces
Cut all the dough


Heat oil on a medium high heat, in a deep wok. Or karahi

Fry a small batch at a time until it's golden brown ,
Take it out in a strainer to drain out excess oil
Can be served hot with tea or coffee and enjoy!!
or
Let it cool and store in airtight containers and enjoy it for a almost 1-2 months (if anything left :))