Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Algerian Ka'ak (MENA cooking club July 2014)

Assalmo alaikum,

oday I'm really excited as I share my first recipe for MENA cooking club,this month our country is Algeria and our host is Asmaa from Halal home cooking she assigned us two dishes one savory and one sweet it's our choice to cook from one of them as you all know I'm a big fan of baking I went ahead with sweet one that is "Algerian Ka'ak".As I haven't cooked anything from Algeria it was really exciting for me to try something new and that is the reason I joined the club and would encourage other bloggers or non bloggers to join it so much fun!!

Now with the recipe I was inspired by the example recipe from La Petite Paniere given to us by Asmaa , I gave it some changes the cookies came out real good lighlty sweetened delicious and aromatic , these cookies will go great with a cup of hot coffee or tea!!


Recipe:

3 cups flour

1 cup granulated sugar

1 1/2 tsp Baking powder

3/4 cup warm milk

2 eggs

Fennel seed ground 1 1/2 tbsp

1/2 cup coconut powder

1 tbsp yeast

1/2 cup coconut oil

3/4 cup warm milk

Zest of one lime

Sesame seed

Shredded coconut

1 egg yolk

 

Direction:

Mix yeast with warm milk and set aside

Combine flour, baking powder, sugar,fennel seed powder, coconut powder and lime zest

Now add eggs, milk and yeast mixture and coconut oil to dry mixture

Knead it to form a sticky dough set aside

Heat oven at 350F

Now divde the dough into twelve equal size portion

Form a ball and roll it into a 12 to 15cm long log and connect both sides together

Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seed and shredded coconut

Let it rise for an hr

Bake in the oven for 30 mins or until golden brown on top

Enjoy with a cup of coffee at Suhoor or Iftar!!!

 

Linkin to http://www.menacookingclub.org