Sunday, May 10, 2015

"PASTIZZI" Mena cooking club May 2015


Assalamo Alaikum,

I was looking at my kids school calendar and was really surprised to see that only one month left of their school year my god it seems like yesterday when they were starting classes last year or even started school I feel like I'm very old now, they are growing up getting independent and one day they will get married and have kids  but my love as a mother will always remain same in sha Allah!!!

Time flew by and its already time for  Mena cooking club challenge last two month I was too caught in household things that I was not able to participate but this month I made a promise to myself that I gotta do it and Alhamdulilah (by Allah's will) im here !!

This month Yasmeen from Wandering Spice has given us the challenge to make a dish from "Malta" , as by google search

"Malta, an archipelago in the central Mediterranean between Sicily and the North African coast, is a nation known for historic sites related to a succession of rulers including the Romans, Moors, Knights of St. John, French and British. It has numerous fortresses, megalithic temples and the ─Žal Saflieni Hypogeum, a subterranean complex of halls and burial chambers dating to 3600 B.C.E."

As always we were challenged to make  either one of soup, savory or sweet dish  and as always dessert was on my hit list but as I was looking as the other dishes "Pastizzi" intrigued me as it looked quite similar to a beautiful dish I ate long time ago called "Mehboobi"a very delicious dessert dipped in sugar syrup I saw my mom and aunt making it when I was like 13 yrs old never eaten it after that but I can still remember the flavor yumm!! enough of my rant lets get back to Pastizzi after looking around I found a recipe on youtube which I was able to understand and follow .
I have never eaten Pastizzi  so anyone from Malta or Maltese descent who knows this dish could tell me by looks I did justice to it or not?

Pastizzi

Recipe

Ingredients:

For dough:

5 cups all purpose flour

2 cups cold water

1/4 cup oil

1 tbsp salt

1 cup vegetable shortening

1/4 cup butter

For Filling:

16oz ricotta cheese

salt to taste

1 tsp dried parsley flakes

Direction :

Sift flour with salt

then completely mix it with oil

make a well in the center add little water at a time to make a stiff dough

divide the dough in two equal  parts wrap it in plastic sheet and

leave it to rest in refrigerator for 2 hrs

meanwhile mix together butter and shortening leave it aside

now take one dough ball out and

one large clean and smooth surface  roll the dough  it in a long oval shape

now using your fingers slowly spread out the dough from the sides

stretch as much as you can to achieve a paper thin sheet

 now spread on it the mixture of butter and shortening

now roll this sheet and while stretching it and make along log

now roll it like so and warp again with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hr

now mix together ricotta cheese, salt,an egg and dried parsley

preheat oven to 425F

take out your spiral dough and open it up

cut it into one inch pieces

stretch it out using your finger and thumb

place  2 tsp filling and join the dough all the way around

place on a non stick or lined cookie sheet bake for around 25 mins

serve warm and enjoy the deliciousness from Malta!!