Monday, January 11, 2016

Kulcha Cookies (Mena cooking Club January 2016)


Assalamo Alaikum


Alhamdulilah we are in 2016 wow!! this is my first blog for this year at this time specially here in US lots of people are making resolutions and as a Muslim our year began in Muharram(first month of Islamic calendar) but when  resolution making is in the air i like to sit down and think about last year and go over my habit toward becoming good Muslim  in sha Allah that does include good eating habits as well as physical health and spending valuable time with my family in sha Allah.I pray to Allah that he give me strength to be good and healthy Muslim.

The Prophet (pbuh) said:
“Take benefit of five before five:
your youth before your old age,
your health before your sickness,
your wealth before your poverty,
your free-time before your preoccupation,
and your life before your death.”
(Hakim)



So in sha Allah my pact to myself is to follow this hadith and take care all the blessing Allah has given me Alhamdulilah:)

This month in Mena cooking club we  are making cookies from our culture or our spouses culture,I'm sharing you the cookies I grew up with my mom use to make a lot of these and we would finish them so quickly ,my mom was not a baking kind of person but she always use to make these with the help of my older sister who is an expert at baking!!These cookies"kulcha" are also made on special occassions like Eid and Weddings or just to have it on hand for guests.Kulcha's crispy outside and buttery and chewy inside they are from Bihar ,India from where my grandparents migrated to Pakistan.Mostly only found in "Bihari"household never seen them being sold in market outside in Karachi ,Pakistan.

"KULCHA"

Ingredients:
5 cups Flour
2 cups Semolina coarse (available in Pakistani or Indian store)
2 cups Sugar
2 1/4 cup Ghee or melted butter
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking powder
water
sesame seeds
Jaggery or brown sugar melted in some milk to brush on cookies and sprinkle sesames seeds
I didn't have any sesame seeds on hand so i end up using sesame snaps melted in some milk

Directions:
Mix together all the dry ingredients except sesame seeds and brown sugar

Then add Ghee or melted butter to dry ingredients and rub together well

Add water little by little to make a dough(less water is best)

Divide dough in two section wrap them in plastic wrap and leave to rest

You can half the recipe easily as i made it today cause my oven in broken and i made them in toaster oven(no I'm not kidding" just wanted to share the recipe)
Roll out one ball into 1/8 inch thick circle and cut out cookies


place them on cookie sheet ,spread melted brown sugar and milk mixture and sprinkle sesame seeds on top

Bake in preheated oven at 250F for about 30 mins until light brown on the bottom and sides

Serve warm with tea or coffee and enjoy!!